Since the disaster of September 11, many Christians have quoted 2 Chronicles
7:14 as if it were a mantra: “If my people, who are called by my name, will
humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their
While this verse was intended for Israel and doesn’t apply to our nation or
situation, there is a principle of humbling ourselves that applies to all.
How does one go about humbling himself?
As I began to ruminate on this question, it wasn’t long before I realized
that best instruction on humility comes from David, the man after God’s
heart and His song leader. The following verses from the book of Psalms are
just a few that show David’s humility and dependence on God. I believe if we
incorporate these attitudes and principles in honest prayer, we too will
begin to understand what it means to humble ourselves before God. Here’s
what I learned:
“Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and
teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”
* God’s Word is true and our guide.
“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am
helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”
(My personal favorite.)
* I need to depend on God for my strength. Singing in my heart makes my
“Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; may your love and your truth
always protect me.” Psalm 40:11
* God’s love and truth is my protection.
“O LORD, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you.” Psalm
* Sin in my life is against Him, and I need His healing.
“Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I call to you all day long.” Psalm 86:3
* Because I understand that He is my hope, I will constantly turn to Him.
“In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me.” Psalm
* I can turn to God in my time of need and He will hear me.
“Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”
* I don’t have to worry that I am bothering Him when I call on Him. I know
He wants to hear from me because he turned His ear my way.
“Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. Redeem
me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts. Make your face
shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees. Streams of tears flow
from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.” Psalm 119:133-136
* I will look to God for direction and won’t allow sin to rule in my life.
My heart is broken when I see sin in my life and in others.
“I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.” Psalm
* I will let others know of my need for God’s mercy.
“O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness
and righteousness come to my relief.” Psalm 143:1
* God’s mercy, faithfulness, and righteousness bring me peace.
From our archives 12/1/1
236 total views, 1 views today