June is known for its weddings, so we thought we would bring back an old favorite article on the Top 10 Bible Verses on Marriage and Weddings that we compiled for Valentine’s Day back in 2012.
The Bible contains many verses on the topic of matrimony that speak to the sanctity of the marriage covenant and the love husbands and wives should have for one another. Here are the top ten Bible verses on marriage and weddings as compiled by Christian Activities:
- Genesis 2:24 (NIV): That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
- Ephesians 5:31 (NIV): “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”
- 1 Corinthians 7: 1-10 (NIV): 1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
- Hebrews 13:4 (NIV): Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
- Genesis 2:18 (NIV): The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
- Ecclesiastes 9:9 (NIV): Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun—all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun.
- 1 Peter 3: 3-6 (NIV): 3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
- 1 Peter 3:7 (NIV): Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
- Matthew 19:3-9 (NIV): 3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?” 4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” 7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?” 8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
- Matthew 5:32 (NIV) But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Christian Activities may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.
These Bible verses on marriage and weddings offer insight into how God views matrimony and what His plan for married couples is. Let us know your favorite Bible verses about weddings and marriage in the comments below.
- The Legend of St. Valentine
- The Single’s Guide to Surviving Valentine’s Day
- Promises for Married Couples on VALENTINE’S DAY
- Top Ten Lessons I Have Learned After A Decade of Marriage
- The Marriage
- Valentine – an Acrostic Poem
From our archives February 12, 2012
Join us on Facebook at Christian Activities.
1,643 total views, 1 views today