Who Can Find a Wife of Noble Character? It is not easy to find a virtuous woman in these modern feminist times.
Proverbs 31 is from the sayings of King Lemuel, king of Massa and considered an oracle. These verses form an acrostic–each verse beginning with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The formatting of the verses into a poetic style lend some weight as to how important the qualities of a virtuous woman are.
10. A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
11. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
12. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
13. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
14. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
15. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
16. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
18. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
19. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
21. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
26. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29. “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”
30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Christian Activities may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.
Why Be a Virtuous Wife?
The verses speak for themselves. A wife of noble character works hard to create a comfortable home for her family. She brings honor to her husband and is respected by the community, but even more importantly, she is respected by her own children and her husband.
A wife of noble character is not trying to be “empowered;” she seeks to empower her husband and her family. According to the Bible, a virtuous woman will be blessed and fulfilled.